Friday, June 6, 2014

M92 - Messier Object Globular Cluster

M92 - A Globular Cluster (Not my pic :))

While trying to find more Messier objects using Stellarium, I came across this globular cluster that I don't recall seeing before.  It is just to the left of the Great Cluster In Hercules, just to the right of Draco's eyes, and just above the star Vega.  In fact, Draco seems to be staring right as it.  I must have seen it before and just have forgotten about it (isn't that what this blog is for? :p).






M92 is similar to M13 (Great Cluster In Hercules) in ease of viewing.  M92 seems a little more tightly packed together and therefore seems a little brighter at its core than M13 does.  But M13 seems to show more individual star detail.

I am a big fan of globular clusters.  They are a collection of possibly thousands of stars gravitationally bound together.  In my 8" reflector, they appear as a faint ball light.  Higher magnification shows a little of the individual stars(specks),  and not to sound stupid, but they kind of remind me of something looking back at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment