Thursday, November 8, 2012

Near Full Moon Capture


 JUST PAST FULL MOON - JUNE 2012



I took this photo of the moon this past summer using my Skywatcher 8" reflector telescope and a Cannon Powershot A2200 14.1MP camera.  I shot this picture looking straight into a 20mm eyepiece using the camera.   This type of astrophotography is called the 'afocal' method.  Almost any type of digital camera can be used.  Simply hold the camera lens up to the eyepiece, make sure you are in focus, and fire away.  It can be a little tricky to get the object centered in the camera preview screen and to keep it steady.  So patience is necessary.  Camera holders can be purchased to hold it at the eyepiece for you.  I don't own one myself but may buy one in the future.

This picture of the moon was taken just past full moon, about less than a day I suspect.  You can see on the left side it is just slightly cutoff, waning its way to a 'new moon'.  I was surprised at how good the quality was for my first moon shot with this camera.

I'm not sure what the correct orientation of the moon is, but I'm pretty sure that it is not as it appears if you look with the naked eye.  I would have to flip my picture top to bottom and left to right to match most pictures I viewed on Google.  I'll double check the next time I see the moon ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment